I spent a week at Disney’s Aulani resort with the Average Joe family and all I can say is, “Wow, what a great resort!”
But, as it is a Disney property and Disney does mean the best, it also comes with a high price tag. Let’s be clear, Hawaii is an expensive vacation and staying at Disney’s Aulani resort is also an expensive luxury. And since this Average Joe is not wallowing in greenbacks, I had to use many of my Average Joe money saving ideas in order to give the family a great vacation.
But, these money saving techniques are no secret; I talk about them all the time, I post about them on the Average Joe Facebook page and of course I write about them on the Average Joe blog. Anyone can do these techniques to make more money or to save more money.
Here is my trip report and the rewards that I cashed in for this fabulous trip-
- Hertz– I used 4,000 Hertz points to get a free vehicle rental. I went with the Toyota Pathfinder (not my preferred vehicle) to tote my family of five around the island. The only thing I had to pay for was taxes, about $60.27. A savings of $1,152.30.
- Mobee – I cashed in $600.00 from my Mobee account by requesting Target gift cards. I then used the Target gift cards to buy Disney gift cards. I then used the Disney gift cards to pay down my balance at the front desk every couple of days. A savings of $600.00.
- United Airlines– I used my United Airlines branded credit card to purchase First Class tickets (for the flight home), which were on sale for less than Economy Plus, a savings of $2,500.00. And, I received enough points back for two free flights in the future. A savings of $2,500.00.
- Delta Airlines – Ms. Average Joe purchased the tickets on Delta to get us to Hawaii, but I used my Delta branded American Express card to check us in and get free baggage. A savings of $130.00.
- Ibotta – Ms. Average Joe and myself transferred our Ibotta savings and used these funds to apply to our hotel charges. A savings of $512.00.
- Shopkick– Ms. Average Joe and myself transferred our Shopkick funds and used these funds to purchase groceries at Target, a savings of $37.00.
- Chase Disney Rewards Credit Card – I cashed in my Disney Rewards credit card and received $391.00 which I applied to my room charges. A savings of $391.00.
- Disney Vacation Club– I am a long time believer and member in the Disney Vacation Club and used my vacation club points to reserve and get the family a one bedroom villa. A savings of $4,198.00.
Total Trip Savings, $9,520.30!
If you ever get a chance to go to Hawaii and have an opportunity to stay at Disney’s Aulani, do it! I thought it was a fabulous, family friendly environment and I cannot say enough good things about it. But, it is an expensive trip. Just plan ahead, take advantage of the money saving ideas that Average Joe and company advocate and you can have a great trip that does not break the bank!
If you get to Hawaii, send me a note, a postcard, or give me a call and let me know how your trip went! Just do Average Joe a favor and Live Your Life Rewarded!